Pages

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Halloween High Jinks

I came over all creative today. It's a combination of having time to spare, and a way to get my creative juices flowing.On Pinterest I slathered over all the home made goodies American Soccer moms have perfected over years of PTA bake sales. I am not American, and I am no soccer mom, but I like to try things, and I want  my kids to see that I like to try. My little ones are having a Halloween party at nursery, so they are going to be guinea pigs.I went to the supermarket with my list and bought supplies.


I started off with something simple, apple and marshmallow-mini teeth. Not exactly complex but fiddly, footery and messy. They taste divine, the combo of a lovely crisp autumn apple spread with smooth peanut butter and 3 or 4 marshmallows, yum.




I had to cocktail stick the ones for the party tomorrow, and tossed them in lemon juice to prevent browning.

Next on the list was jelly worms, apparently simple as soap suds. Just pour jelly into straws secured in an upright position with an elastic band, simple, not. I poured I dribbled I sploshed I cajoled but I'll be damned if I could get more than an inch of damned jelly into an actual straw. Any straws I managed to get jelly into just emptied out into whatever receptacle I was using-I used several. So after washing up 4 plastic jugs, a mug and a tupperware bowl and a stack of plastic straws I gave up. I can buy Jelly worms, they're not dear.



Next on my hit list was cheese string and pretzel broomsticks, I am well chuffed with these although I know my two minxes won't eat string cheese- good thing too!





Then it was the turn of the strawberry ghosts. I think they're cute. I put some sherbet on some of them for added texture, I couldn't get hold of popping candy at short notice. 



I'm pleased with my first foray into Halloween fun food. I'll have to try something else for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment